Oils have many uses when it comes to caring for natural hair. If you look at product ingredients, it’s common to see olive oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil. They aid infusing moisture into the hair shaft, and also can be used to seal moisture in. Here’s a list of some and some of the way they nourish the hair.
- Grapesees oil- rich in vitamin E and linoleic acid which strengthens hair follicles. Use to reduce dandruff.
- Jojoba oil- similar to the Jair’s sebum(natural oil that the hair produces). High in monosaturated fatty acids, vitamins A,B1,B2,B6, and E. Antibacterial properties.
- Olive oil- penetrating oil. Rich with fatty acids that coat hair shaft. It’s a great sealant.
- Coconut oil- penetrating oil. Rich in vitamin E and luric acid. Reduces damage during wash process when used for pre-poo
- Avocado oil- penetrating oil that is high in monosaturated fatty acids. Rich in lecithin, vitamins A,D,E,B6, and amino acids. It nourishes and protects the hair and has humectant properties.
- Sweet almond oil- comprised of saturated and monosaturated fats. It great for sealing and protecting hair, and is very beneficial for dry ends.
- Castor oil-known to improve scalp circulation. It’s a heavy sealant used to prevent breakage and split ends.
- Safflower oil- it’s a monosaturated oil comprised of oleic acid and polyunsaturated oil. Because of its small molecules, it’s able to penetrate the scalp and hair follicles. Good choice to nourish hair and scalp, and also stimulates blood circulation.
- Jamaocan black castor- increases blood flow to scalp while supplying nutrients to hair follicles. Acts as a humectant.
(Mostly used to aid the oils and butters. You can find some oils with essential oils already added. They come in a small bottle in its’ purest form and are recommend to be diluted in a carrier oil such as one above. This is only a couple of the ones I use. There are many more)
- Peppermint oil-helps stimulate blood flow which will aid in hair growth
- Rosemary oil- useful for an itchy scalp. Stimulates hair follicles
- tea tree oil- keeps scalp free of bacteria and fungal properties
- Vitamin E oil- improves circulation and extends the shelf life of homemade products